Tuesday, June 14, 2016

THE CALL

Let me set the tone here by explaining what has transpired since Friday, June 11. On Friday (3 days ago) we found out that the head officer, who we have been waiting on to sign our approval, had asked for our agency to provide them with medicals for all the children who were still waiting. Our agency planned to give them that information on Monday. We ALSO found out that on Wednesday (tomorrow), the head officer, who we have been waiting on to sign our approval, would be leaving for the United States with 10 other high ranking government officials on a delegation trip and would be gone for TWO weeks. We were informed that our agency, which is based in Denver, Colorado, would be hosting this group of Ethiopian government officials on the 22nd and would need families who have adopted or who had been matched and were waiting, to come for an open house and meet with these officials. We realized that with this new request for medicals and this trip coming up, they would only have one day to sign our approval and the chances of that happening were slim to none. Tom and I began making plans to fly to Denver next week. We looked at plane tickets, spoke to Tom’s boss about needing time off, figured out child care, and were looking forward to meeting with these head officials to advocate face to face for our daughter. We were thankful for this opportunity, yet, frustrated that there would be another lengthy delay.

THE CALL

Today at 12:14pm my phone rang. I looked at it and it showed a number I didn’t know and said Denver, CO. Ya’ll…my heart skipped a beat..well, maybe stopped beating all together. When I answered a sweet voice asked for Whitney and said the following words to me, “Well I was planning to call you today to talk to you about making arrangements for you guys to come to Denver…but it looks like you won’t be coming here next week. Hopefully you’ll be in Ethiopia at your court appointment!!!”  I can’t even tell you what it felt like to hear those words…so I guess I’ll show you a photo since “a picture is worth a thousand words”


Let me be sure to thank my friend Laura who captured this moment here! About 5 minutes prior to her snapping this photo, she had been sitting with me asking about the adoption and where we were in the process. I showed her my phone and said “I am LITERALLY waiting on a call ANY day.” When she saw me jumping around shortly thereafter (as did the entire pool…by the way, this was our first day there so I’m sure most of the people thought I had completely lost it!) she picked up her phone and took these photos!

The joy and elation I experienced in that moment reminded me of the feeling I had when I gave birth to my children and also the way I felt on my wedding day. Nothing else in the world has made me feel that way other than those moments..but today, knowing that the final approval has FINALLY been made, brought pure joy to my heart and it called for JUMPING, DANCING, SQUEALING, LAUGHING, CRYING, and PRAISING GOD all at the same time! 

Calling Tom to tell him that THE CALL had finally come was filled with emotion too! I’m surprised he was able to understand my words through the combination of laughter and tears..but he did!

My dear friend April was also there and captured the moment immediately following when I told Sydney the good news. It was so wonderful to have friends (Christine was there too!) who have walked with us through this for so long, there to celebrate the moment with me! Oh my heart is so full!


The rest of the timeline at this point is unknown. Our agency had to check with us first before officially scheduling the court date but the hope is that it will be NEXT TUESDAY. YES…as in ONE week from today!! We will find out if they were able to get that date tomorrow and I will update with further details at that point. 

THANK YOU for CELEBRATING with us and for continuing to keep our family and our sweet Hope in your prayers!!

 "Let us hold fast the confession of our HOPE without wavering, for He who promised is FAITHFUL." 
Hebrews 10:23


No comments:

Post a Comment